Are you looking for the best ballpoint pen to add to your collection? Maybe you’re in search of the perfect retirement gift for a co-worker, or maybe you just enjoy bringing stylish accessories to the office.
Look no further, we’ve done all of the research and digging through endless options for you and have compiled an extensive list, narrowing down your choices to the top 14 ballpoint pens. Keep reading to find out everything you need to know to select your ballpoint pen for purchase.
Quick Overview: Top 14 best ballpoint pens
|Waterman Hemisphere Ballpoint Pen, Gloss Black with 23K Gold Trim|
|Fisher Space AG7 Original Astronaut Space Pen|
|Cross Beverly Pearlescent White Ballpoint Pen|
|Waterman Expert Deluxe CT Ballpoint Pen|
|Fisher 400B Space Bullet Pen|
|SKILCRAFT B3 Aviator Multi-Function Pen|
|PARKER Sonnet Ballpoint Pen|
|Pilot Axiom Collection Retractable Ballpoint Pen|
|Parker Jotter Premium Bond Ballpoint Pen|
|Rotring 800 Retractable Ballpoint Pen|
|Xezo Legionnaire Twist Action Ballpoint Pen|
|Bastion Luxury Executive Bolt-Action Ballpoint Pen|
|Cross ATX Basalt Chrome-Plated Ballpoint Pen|
|Creative Art Materials Caran D’ache Ballpoint Pen|
Reviews – The Top 14 Best Ballpoint Pens
1. Waterman Hemisphere Ballpoint Pen, Gloss Black with 23K Gold Trim : Top Overall Pick
This pen really stuck out to us as we sorted through our ballpoint pen options. This ballpoint pen wins our top pick. It is perfectly designed to look like your classic-style ballpoint pen while providing the comfort and luxury that you may be seeking.
This pen is available in several different color sets. We have featured the black with gold trim because it really stands out and is an eye-catching option that is both classy and professional. The pen comes in a gorgeous padded gift box and includes a blue ink cartridge.
- Slim design that offers a sophisticated elegance to the pen
- Ballpoint tip works efficiently and smoothly
- Perfect your signature and penmanship with this craftsmanship
- Hand-crafted in France
- Available in various color options
- Perfectly balanced for comfortable use
- The top part of the pen is loose fitting
- The twist motion for retraction is not always smooth
- Very short pen, somewhat undersized
2. Fisher Space AG7 Original Astronaut Space Pen: Best Ballpoint Pen Under $50
Ballpoint pens can quickly get very expensive. This Fisher Space is a great affordable option and we have awarded it as the best ballpoint pen under $50. Don’t be fooled by the price tag, this pen is still a great ballpoint pen.
This Astronaut space pen writes perfectly at every angle and is extremely versatile. The pen is a superior quality that won’t disappoint when you need it the most. The pen is sleek and stylish in a shiny silver finish. It has a very simple design that still provides a professional appearance and a sense of luxury. The box is inlaid with a felt-like fabric and has a cutout to firmly hold the pen when in case.
- An extremely versatile pen that allows you to write at all angles
- The original space pen, tested and approved by NASA
- Pen has maintained original design from 1969.
- Heavy pen made with brass and chrome-plated
- Retractable click-pen
- Pen no longer is marked with AG7 Fisher Space Logo Inscription
- Handle with care as it can break from dropping
3. Cross Beverly Pearlescent White Ballpoint Pen: Most Stylish Pen
Award yourself with style and grace through this gorgeous pearlescent ballpoint pen. This pen is designed to be sleek and stylish and will certainly catch the eye of those around you. This pen looks and feels great and is also very affordable for a ballpoint pen.
If you’re not a fan of the pearlescent white, don’t turn away just yet. There are several other unique color options available for this particular pen. The unique aspect of this pen is that even with other colors, the pen remains elegant and stylish. This pen is certainly a winner.
- Fashion-forward stylish pen
- Cross is a well-known brand for ballpoint pens, with 168 years of service
- Elegant and sophisticated style wrapped into a quality ballpoint pen
- A style designed to have both feminine and professional traits
- Color begins to chip off with moderate use after only about 6 months
- Packaging and gift box appear cheap
4. Waterman Expert Deluxe CT Ballpoint Pen – Sophisticated and Highly Precise Pen
Waterman Expert Deluxe CT Ballpoint Pen stands apart from other ballpoint pens for being more than an accessory. It is a statement pen by being both sophisticated and practical. Its fashionable appearance comes from Parisian styling. It is a style that exudes executive tastes ideal for writers, note-takers, and those who have high expectations when it comes to pens.
A distinct feature of the pen is its cigar-shaped silhouette. As for the materials used to make the pen, Waterman claims they are of the highest quality. Waterman Deluxe Ballpoint Pen is ideal for a variety of uses, including when writing for business deals, calligraphy, or daily notes. Whatever the pen is used for, it promises to be in the highest standards always.
The precision, impressive aesthetic and high performance of Waterman ballpoint pens come from the fact that it is assembled by master craftsmen in France. The pen is available in two trims – chrome and gold – each looking as sophisticated as can be expected from a handcrafted pen. It is also available in different writing types such as ballpoint, rollerball, and fountain pen.
With every type of pen, you can expect different writing experiences. Still, Waterman ensures that it will be enjoyable to write whether you use the rollerball, fountain or ballpoint pen. They can promise this through the high-quality nib used for every Waterman Expert Deluxe CT pen.
This fountain pen, for instance,has a distinct streamlined nib. This is what provides the smooth, gliding writing experience when using the pen. The ballpoint pen is also smooth, as it is precise. The nib allows every line drawn to be flawless. It has been described that Waterman ballpoint pen has ink that does not dry out or bleeds as it is meant for high-precision writing.There is also the rollerball pen, which takes the price when it comes to control and comfort.
It is a pen made for enhancing the user’s creativity through its refined nib. The signature Parisian style that Waterman Deluxe Ballpoint Pen showcases makes the pen an ideal gift for special occasions. It serves a beautiful gift for celebrating anniversaries, graduations, promotions, and others.
- Looks great and functional for everyday use
- Comfortable to use no matter what and how long you have been writing
- Has good ink consistency and the ink can last long
- Smooth writing experience
- The high cost of refills
- Twist mechanism might be a little loose
5. Fisher 400B Space Bullet Pen – Matte Black: Plain and Simple
If you’re not impressed by the luxury and style that commonly accompanies ballpoint pens, you may be a fan of this bullet pen. This pen has a very plain and simple design but offers quality benefits that people typically look for in a ballpoint pen.
This Fisher pen is another style option for the popular space pen. The pen writes perfectly from any angle and even works in zero-gravity environments – just in case you’re planning a space visit soon. This pen is unique and versatile, shaped like a bullet. The pen is affordable and comes in a uniquely designed gift box that has planet surface imprints.
- A versatile pen that works in various environments
- Pen is made of brass, with a matte black chrome finish
- Ballpoint is capped preventing any ink from getting where it’s not supposed to
- A great pocket pen option, small and compact with lid
- Durable, portable, and reliable in a ballpoint pen option
- Cannot withstand excessive pressure applied while writing
- Writing quality is not up to typical ballpoint pen standards
6. SKILCRAFT B3 Aviator Multi-Function Pen – Best Multi-Function Pen
SKILCRAFT B3 Aviator Multi-Function Pen is at the top of the list when it comes to inexpensive engineering pens. It is designed to meet all FOD or Foreign Object Damage requirements, thus ensuring it to work as intended. This ballpoint pen is a medium point with black and red ink and a 0.5-millimeter pencil. A medium point means it writes solid lines around 1.0 to 1.4 mm.
Being both a pen and pencil, it is quite a useful writing tool for anyone who often writes. It means you can use it not only for daily writing or taking notes but also for art, at least in some ways. It comes with a big enough cartridge for a generous amount of ink. Therefore, the ink is sure to last long, although it all depends on the amount of use. As for the pencil, it seems only one piece of lead can be loaded at time.
One unique feature of this pen is its special finish. The pen is made this way so that light won’t be reflected when using it. This SKILCRAFT ballpoint pen has a slender barrel. It is slim but has an incredibly well-balanced weight, so it does not feel uncomfortable when using it. Besides including black and red pens, as well as pencil, it comes with a screw-top eraser.
It fits tightly and securely on the top of the pencil, which, of course,matches all FOD requirements. The pen is a twist-action style. When the user needs to use either a pen or a pencil, they can twist the shaft to rotate the pen and pencil at a time. The SKILCRAFT ballpoint pen is highly durable, having been made with all-metal construction.
Perhaps the essential info about this pen is that it is made by Americans who are blind. They made this pen with pride, quality, and purpose. It is nice to know that with every purchase of SKILCRAFT B3 Aviator Multi-Function Pen, more Americans with blindness can find jobs. It is truly a superb pen in more ways than one.
- Excellent build and nice metallic feel
- Light enough that you can use it for a long time
- It has a matte texture that makes it ideal for people with slippery fingers
- Has a good quality pen clip that slides smoothly into the pocket
- The ink does not flow right away, so you must scribble on a scrap paper before you can use the pen
7. PARKER Sonnet Ballpoint Pen – The Elegant, Stylish Ballpoint Pen
Although it is just a pen, it would be nice if it looks good. PARKER Sonnet Ballpoint Pen does not only look good,but also has a timeless elegance to it. The main feature of the pen is the retractable twist mechanism. It makes the pen a lot convenient to use this way since there is no need for a cap when opening or closing the pen whenever it is used.
It comes with a medium tip, an adorned barrel, and a silver cap. The cap is made with chiseled sterling while the barrel features a gold-finished trim and clip. All these accents add to how elegant and stylish the Sonnet Ballpoint Pen looks. As the pen is assembled and checked by hand, it promises flawless quality.
When it comes to designs, the Sonnet Ballpoint Pen has an array of different options, including the Ciselé pattern. Each design hasintricate details crafted into the pen skillfully. These all add to the sophistication that this ballpoint pen promises to provide in each writing occasion. It is not only the pen’s designs that are handled by hand but also all the pens and nibs included.
The elegance of the pen also came from its stainless-steel body and lacquer finishes. Besides stainless-steel, options available include Red, Blue, Black, and Matte Black Lacquer. In a way, the Sonnet Ballpoint Pen is also a travel pen. It has an easy-to-carry design, which makes it ideal for bringing anywhere you want to travel.
It is perfect for note-takers, journal users, or anyone who has a habit of spontaneously writing. The pen also boasts smooth writing experience. It is due to the Quinkflow technology that the pen is equipped with that allows it to provide an optimal ink flow. When writing with Sonnet Ballpoint Pen, the lines are flawless, long-lasting, clean, and consistent in each stroke.
The Sonnet pen line exudes expert craftsmanship. It has PARKER’s timeless design, plus the high-quality feel that only an expert can do. It is why Sonnet Ballpoint Pen is the top choice of users looking for a stylish pen as a gift item. It even has superior quality packaging. Every PARKER Premium box with Sonner pen comes not only with the pen, but a welcome card, premium booklet, and other accessories.
- A pretty pen that makes an excellent addition to any collection
- Nice balance that makes writing consistent and smooth
- Well weighted – not too light and not too heavy
- The pen is too skinny and smooth for some users
- Some refills need a bit of coaxing to work
8. Pilot Axiom Collection Retractable Ballpoint Pen: Best Retractable Ballpoint Pen
This is a great mix between simple and stylish with the retractable click feature. This ballpoint pen is the best retractable ballpoint pen option in our reviews. The pen is designed with a medium point for comfortable and stylish writing needs. The pen looks similar to your everyday click pen, but with additional elements that provide a professional appearance
The Pilot retractable ballpoint pen is available in 5 different color options to fit your preferences. The barrel of the pen is dimpled, adding a touch of extra style to the pen. The ink provided with the pen is blue but can be replaced with black. This pen comes in a stylish leather box.
- High-quality retractable pen at an affordable price
- Stylish with a professional design
- The retractable mechanism is designed to be durable and smooth
- Medium point tip with blue ink
- Perfect weight distribution with a comfortable grip
- Clicker tends to give out
- The grip is a bit slippery and tends to side in your fingers
9. Parker Jotter Premium Bond Ballpoint Pen: Most Versatile Ballpoint Pen
The Parker Jotter Ballpoint pen is uniquely versatile in that you can interchange the ballpoint refill for a gel refill but still maintain the ballpoint pen style that you are seeking. If you prefer the gel ink, but want a professional looking ballpoint pen, this is a great pen option for you with that handy trick.
This ballpoint pen is available in more than 10 color options, giving it another positive mark for versatility. The barrel of the pen is made of stainless steel, in addition to the color that you choose. This pen is stylish and durable making it very desirable as a versatile ballpoint pen
- 11 color options to personalize your ballpoint pen
- Click retractable pen that operates smoothly
- Smooth writing with either gel or ballpoint ink refills
- Durable quality with an affordable price tag
- Consistent writing with every use
- Very lightweight
- Pen tends to jam
10. rOtring 800 Retractable Ballpoint Pen: Most Standard Ballpoint Pen
Professional style meets durable build in the most standard ballpoint pen listed in our reviews. This ballpoint pen from Rotring offers smooth and precise movements with a retractable click pen that has a unique design. The pen does not look like you might expect a ballpoint pen to look but still has a great modern style.
The barrel of this pen is uniquely designed to deliver a firm and steady grip that won’t cause finger fatigue but will deliver smooth writing results. The pen is made with a full metal body that is available in either black or silver. The metal makes the pen durable and sturdy with less possibility of breaking easily.
- High-quality blue ink pen
- Unique hexagonal design
- Non-slip grip made for long-term use comfort
- The pocket clip is removable
- A pricy ballpoint pen option
- Ink tends to run out quickly
11. Xezo Legionnaire Twist Action Ballpoint Pen – The Top Pick for a Wonderful Gift
Xezo Legionnaire Twist Action Ballpoint Pen is a one-of-a-kind pen perfect for a gift to others and yourself. It comes with a gift box itself, plus an extra ball pen refill. Also, the package includes a certificate and warranty card for 3 years. It is an amazing ballpoint pen that can provide both luxury and comfort.
The main features of the pen are the Twist Action, and German-made medium point ball pen. It is a classic design, but with a touch of uniqueness with its 18-karat gold-plated hallmark. The pen also has 18-karat gold and .999 pure platinum plating. It is a luxurious pen that exudes style and elegance.
This pen’s barrel comes in a distinct octagonal shape. It ensures that the pen is both completely balanced and comfortable. It is heavy at 1.4 ounces or 40 grams weight but is also sturdily built. It feels solid when held, which shows its high quality. As it uses twist-action, it does not have a cap and is more convenient for everyday use.
The pen comes in not only ballpoint but also rollerball and fountain versions. This gives you stunning options for the kind of pen you want. Xezo Legionnaire Twist Action Ballpoint Pen makes a beautiful gift, especially knowing that it is a limited-edition pen. Each one is numbered individually, so no two pens alike.
Every Xezo Legionnaire pen is also made of solid brass with fine hand-etched design of leaf patterns on four sides. It also has a linear ‘diamond-cut’ engraving that makes it even exquisite looking. With its luxurious plating and individual numbers, it makes almost like a collectible pen.
The unique ballpoint refillis also selectively interchangeable with different refills available in the market. These include cross, Montblanc, Schmidt, waterman, pelican, St Dupont, Conway Stewart, Dunhill, and many others. Such interchangeability makes the Legionnaire pen series ideal not only for luxury but for daily use as well. It is classically beautiful, as it pays tribute to the legionnaires of the French Foreign Legion. As it is designed with comfort in mind, it makes sense that it is one of the most highly recommended pens today.
- Heavy and high-quality
- Incredibly balanced that adds to ease of writing
- Looks beautiful and stylish
- Writes smoothly and legibly
- Deep engraving leaves an impression on fingers and might not be that comfortable for other users
12. Bastion Luxury Executive Bolt-Action Ballpoint Pen: Best Luxury Ballpoint Pen
The Bastion Executive knew what they were doing when they titled this a luxury ballpoint pen. This pen is suitable for men and women in design with its stainless steel build. The pen delivers a functional sophistication and is made to be ultra-durable and versatile as well.
This pen is quite unique in its overall style and design. It can be paired as a self-defense tool and could even be used to break glass if necessary. This is a retractable pen that operates on bolt-action technology. The parts are made to last while the pen yells luxury to those who see it.
- Bolt-action locks the ink cartridge into place
- Fine tip with exquisite writing results
- Pairs as a self-defense tool
- 100% satisfaction guarantee from the company
- Stylish, functional, and luxurious wrapped into a single pen
- The pen is slightly heavy, which may take some adjustment
- Does not work well with alternative refills of other brands
13. Cross ATX Basalt Chrome-Plated Ballpoint Pen: Graceful Sophistication
The Cross ATX ballpoint pen is the perfect combination of simplicity and sophistication. The pen is graceful in appearance but is also just stylish enough to catch the eye as a classic ballpoint pen. We’ve highlighted the Basalt Black option here, but it is available in a few other color choices as well to match your personal style.
This pen is well-balanced for efficiency and comfort. The grip handles well and does not slip. This pen has a great ergonomic design to allow you to write or sign in comfort with your ballpoint pen. This pen comes with black ink but the ink cartridge can easily be replaced. This pen even comes in a sweet boutique-style gift box made to impress.
- Bold, medium writing with smooth ink
- Comfortable design with excellent balance
- Easy to hold with a moderate weight and height
- Professional and graceful appeal
- Pen has the perfect ratio of color and accents for style
- Turning retraction mechanism sometimes sticks
- The grip can be slippery
14. Creative Art Materials Caran D’ache Ballpoint Pen: Keeping it Simple
The Creative Art Materials ballpoint pen provides a quality pen option with a simple design. This pen at first glance might look like a mechanical pencil, but looks can often be deceiving. This pen offers quality in a simple appeal design that is available in 17 different color options so you can personalize your look.
The pen is affordable, comfortable, and durable. The hexagonal shape is a valued design aspect that many users appreciate. The pen is made of aluminum material so it is not overly heavy but offers a reasonable balance and size for optimal use. The clip is flexible and the clicking retractor is smooth and easy to push.
- Writes smoothly and efficiently
- A simple style that many appreciate
- Medium-sized writing tip with smooth results
- Tip retracts with simple click motion and stays in place
- Feels solid and comfortable in your grip
- Ink runs out quickly
- At times, the clicking retractor mechanism sticks
Not every ballpoint pen is created equally, it’s important to know what types of qualities you might want to look for in a ballpoint pen. Pens are made with a variety of styles, tips, grip options, weight distributions, and overall design.
Ballpoint pens are an investment because you are spending a larger amount of money for them so you want to make sure you choose one that won’t make you feel like you wasted your money in the end.
Let’s discuss some of the primary qualities that people tend to look for in ballpoint pens to give you a general idea of what you may want to consider. You can pick and choose which qualities are most appealing to your personal preferences.
One of the primary considerations you will want to select with your ballpoint pen would be your pen tip. Ballpoint pens can come in fine, medium, or thick points. The size of the tip that you feel most comfortable could be dependent on your personal writing style.
If you write small, a fine tip will most likely be the best option for you. Most commonly, ballpoint pens are found with a medium tip. The medium tip is a great average tip option that the majority of people can comfortably use regardless of writing size or style.
If you already know that you prefer a specific size of tip, be sure to look for that feature as you work through your ballpoint pen options.
Is Ballpoint Better Than Gel?
Gel pens and ballpoint pens each have their own unique qualities. Overall, which is better is based solely on your own preferences. Gel ink pens often write darker because the ink is thicker, however, they are also more likely to smear.
Ballpoint pens tend to be more versatile and user-friendly and the ink dries almost instantly when used on paper. Gel, in comparison, takes a bit of drying time. Gel also tends to show up more vividly than ballpoint ink, but ballpoint ink still shows up quite sufficiently.
Ballpoint Pen Features
The ballpoint pen has many positive features that make the pen a universal go-to for business purposes of all kinds. The ballpoint pen also tends to have a professional style to it that many look for in their pens.
Here are some primary features and benefits of the ballpoint pen:
- An improvement from the fountain pen with a filled ink cartridge and no blotching or smearing
- Ballpoint pens typically do not leak ink
- Ballpoint pens are versatile for all uses
- Ballpoint pens have retractable or cap-covered points
- Ballpoint pens are the go-to style for a professional pen
- Ballpoint pens are easy and comfortable to use
- Excessive pressure is not required for adequate writing and the tips do not tear the paper
- Ink dries almost instantly when used on paper
- Ballpoint pens vary in size and can often fit into a pocket.
Potential Negatives of a Ballpoint Pen
As with everything, when it comes to ballpoint pens you take the good with the bad. There are some features of ballpoint pens that stand out that you should be aware of as some individuals might find various features to be undesirable.
Keep in mind that these features are mostly based on personal preferences and they may not bother you at all. Determine whether these features would be important to you and you can narrow down your pen choices by finding the correlating information in a ballpoint pen and understanding how each pen reflects that quality.
- Ballpoint pens tend to be heavier than other types of pens. This may take some adjustment.
- Ballpoint pens typically have a click retracting mechanism or a turn retracting mechanism. These can have their own various glitches, such as sticking and jamming.
- Most ballpoint pens are made with fine surfaces which can cause them to be slippery
- Not all pens are made equally
- Ballpoint pens tend to be more expensive
Familiarity & Experience with Pens
Most likely, you have had your fair share of experiences with various kinds of pens. You probably know better than anyone else what features you like the most and prefer in your pens. You also are aware of whether you want something colorful or something modern and professional.
As you search for the best ballpoint pen, keep in mind whether you want a luxury ballpoint pen, a retractable ballpoint pen, and the price point you’re willing to stick to for your ballpoint pen.
What we have provided here are detailed reviews that are meant to provide you with accurate review information so that you can make an educated decision on your ballpoint pen investment.
Who invented the ballpoint pen?
The ballpoint pen was first patented by Laszlo Biro, which is why ballpoint pens are also called biros. But, the pen itself was first invented around 50 years earlier by a man named John Loud.
When was the ballpoint pen invented?
The ballpoint pen’s first invention was in the late 1800s. However, it didn’t gain commercial success at that time, which is why it wasn’t until the early 1900s that biros became popular. Today, it is the most used type of pen in the world.
What is ballpoint pen ink made of?
There are actually hundreds of ink variations that exist. But the usual ballpoint pen is made of dye suspended in oil or water. This mixture is design so that the ink can dry quickly once it touches the paper.
Is ballpoint pen ink toxic?
Contrary to popular belief, the ink found in ballpoint pens are not toxic. After all, these products do get regulated for safety before being sold, so you don’t have anything to worry about if you or your child happens to swallow a few drops of ink.
How much ink is in a ballpoint pen?
Obviously, this depends on the size, quality, and type of the ballpoint pen. But the average size that a ballpoint pen can write is about 1.2 miles in length until it starts to run out.
Our best advice to you as you scour through these pen reviews and try to determine the best ballpoint pen for your needs and preferences is to start by determining which features are most important to you. For example, is the ink color important and do you want a twist-style or click-style retracting mechanism?
Narrowing down your wish-list of features will greatly help you narrow down the list of options and hone into which pen will best fit your style. Next, consider whether you want a stylish pen or simply a functional pen. There are several of both of these options in the reviews listed above.
Last, but certainly not least, remember that this is YOUR pen. You may love the heavy pen with no grip while another person may prefer the simplest design they can find. We cannot determine which pen you will love most but we can certainly help guide you to the best pens on the market.
We have shared a variety of pens and styles that have various functionalities and color options. There is a versatile range and with the guide information and the knowledge of the reviews, you should now be set to venture into your best ballpoint pen purchase option!